So, here I am. On a business trip. With a customer. And I have this giant pimple on my chin. This has been a lifelong struggle for me at different times. And I’ll be damned if I can’t figure out why. But this time. This time is different. Back to that control thing. I cannot control the occasional pimple from invading my face. Now, you might think that I can. And maybe I can. Is it a hormone imbalance? Is it a nutrition deficiency? Sugar overload? Reaction to nuts? I. don’t. know. And that is the problem. I don’t know. Because I don’t know, I have no actual control. I can flail around and try a million things. But I am not likely to determine the exact reason for it. So, I am not in control. Stop flailing.
But, what I do know is that I have gratitude and here’s what i am grateful for:
- I am grateful that we don’t all have control over everything in life – sounds good, but would actually be horrible.
- I am grateful that I have this giant pimple on this business trip and that it isn’t my daughter having it on her class trip last week.
- I am grateful for my daughter’s experience last week with her giant outbreak that turned out to be staph so that i can have the perspective of gratitude for this one giant pimple – ok, so there are a few little ones as well. 🙂
- I am grateful that we caught her infection in time before her trip so she was cured by the time of her trip.
- I am grateful to her for modeling how to have a single pimple on her face without freaking out.
- I am grateful to my other daughter for also modeling that pimples do not affect a person’s worth.
- I am grateful that I made it safely to my destination.
- I am grateful that I am here and not wanting to drink, anesthetize the lonely night away, which is what I might have done in the past.
- I am grateful for a movie I want to watch tonight. (The Netflix Movie – Happy Anniversary – maybe cheesy, but I’m looking forward to a good movie in bed all snuggled up.)
- I am grateful that I am going home tomorrow! 🙂
- I am grateful that today’s meetings are over.
- I am grateful that I was able to make a dermatology appointment for Thursday – just two day away!
- I am grateful that I don’t have hotel bathroom lighting at my house.
- So, for all of these things, I am grateful.
I am feeling secure and comfortable in myself, even despite the pimple. I can almost laugh at it. The only reason I can’t is that I’m choosing to just simply act like it isn’t there. Oh…..
- I’m grateful that I haven’t picked at it so much that it’s a giant crater on my face that is not coverable – it might be huge, but it’s clean. Gross, I know.
So, I was planning on posting something amazing and profound about labels and throwing them off, but now that will wait until tomorrow. Today was superficial, or was it? 🙂