So, this weekend was a great challenge for not drinking. And guess what…..I didn’t. I have started to like my non-drinking weeknights, but weekends? Hmmmm……What would that be like? And this weekend, we had a work holiday party (a bit belated) and then friends coming into town. So, all of this draws a LOT of attention to drinking. And I did none. And I survived. 🙂 Happily and even with drawing a bit of attention to the fact that I wasn’t drinking. So, here’s what I noticed:
- Even people who drink switch to water at some point in the evening. I really never did.
- There are quite a few people not drinking, as it turns out.
- (Most) people are QUITE supportive of other people not drinking. The bartenders words – “I’m ALWAYS supportive of a sober binge.”
- People who are drunk look pretty damn stupid.
- Not drinking is a lot like healthy drinking.
- Drinking too much is not a lot like healthy drinking.
- It’s awesome to be clear-headed.
So, the party would have been perhaps a bit more on the amusing side with a few drinks. However, my options were:
- Focus on the drinking.
- Focus on the games/company.
For me, the middle ground has often been tough. So, I chose to focus on the games and company. While I admit that I felt a bit boring and even a bit bored, I did feel good about myself and I felt good about the conversation and I felt mature and I felt responsible and I wasn’t worried about how we were going to get home. And I felt like if people didn’t like me, that’s ok, but at least they are deciding whether they like ME and not the altered, boozy me. I like me better just as is.
Am I still thinking about drinking? Sure. It’s not as persistent. I’m on day 13, so we are still early. And I still don’t know what will happen in January. I just don’t know. But for now, I’m settled on doing just this.